Food and water security are clearly of primary importance.
In the wake of systemic fragilities revealed by the Covid-19 crisis – and cascade effects as yet unseen – what actions can we take to boost local food and water security?
After establishing the correlation between healthy soil, healthy food, healthy people and a healthy society and biosphere, we will look at areas where we can all play a part, including:
- Topsoil regeneration and domestic/community composting
- Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) schemes
- Bio-diverse regenerative agricultural techniques
- Domestic and municipal rainwater harvesting potential
- Marine permaculture and seaweed farming
- Foraging and fermentation
With increasingly disturbed seasonal rainfall patterns, we will also look at possibilities for:
- ‘Vertically-integrated indoor farming’
- Hydroponics, poly-tunnels and greenhouse-growing
- Domestic possibilities for cultivating edible/medicinal mushrooms, micro-greens and other ‘super-foods’ to supplement our nutritional self-reliance